Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Week 1 (Last week) - Figs

(photos courtesy of www.botanicalfeast.com - I hold no ownership)

Dave came home from work with the ugliest looking "fruit" I have ever seen. He wouldn't tell me what it was until I tried it. So he cut it open and inside was just as crazy looking as the multicolored outside. When REALLY ripe like the one we had the inside was more white, fanned out and all spiny looking.



I was really nervous, but pleasantly surprised. It was sweet. Though for some reason I couldn't get over the look of it and couldn't eat much. (My head always gets in the way of food!)I even tried to picture eating a pear. It was good, though, and I would recommend anyone to try a fresh one.



I also just read that a fig is actually a collection of flowers called inflorescence. There are over 800 species. they are very nutritious with a lot of fiber, the flowers grow on the inside of the "fruit," they are said to be one of the oldest crop and go back to bible times.



You learn something new everyday!


No comments:

Post a Comment