Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Swedish Pork Shoulder Country Style Ribs

I wanted to try something new since I bought a large package of these ribs at costco and put some in the freezer. I knew that one time I used them I would probably resort to an easy bbq recipe, so I wanted something different for this round. The "swedish" caught my eye, so I thought, let's go back to my roots and try it. I pictured my Great Grandparents cooking something like this when they lived in Sweden.

We really liked them tonight the cloves (aka mock allspice- read below) were strong but still good. We served with mashed potatoes and used the extra sauce for gravy. It was really good, Anna even at a bunch of the "meat." Dave said "the pork was perfect, I can't tell if I loved it, but I really liked it."

Swedish Spareribs
"This is a very easy and different tasting sparerib recipe dominated by the taste of allspice. It's loved by everyone who has ever tasted it."

Prep Time:
15 MinCook Time:
2 Hrs Ready In:
2 Hrs 15 Min
Servings 4 (Original Recipe Yield 6 servings )

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons ground allspice
2 pounds country style pork ribs
1/4 cup butter
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth

Directions
1.In a small bowl, mix together the pepper, sugar, salt and allspice. Sprinkle the spice mixture generously over each rib.
2.Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, but be careful not to burn. Brown ribs on all sides in the butter. Pour in the beef broth, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until ribs are fork tender. Do not remove the lid from the skillet during cooking.

I didn't have a can of Beef Broth so I used this substitution- it worked out great.
Substitutions: 1 bouillon cube = 1 tsp bouillon granules dissolved in 1 cup boiling water = 1 cup canned broth; 1 cup beef broth = 1 tsp beef extract + 1 cup boiling water; 1 cup fish broth = 1 cup bottled clam juice = 1/2 cup chicken broth + 1/2 cup water

I also didn't have Allspice, which was the major spice of the recipe. I didn't realize this until after I started, so THANK GOODNESS for the internet. I found this and thought it was good. I had to do a lot of "doubling." If I was to do it again, I would use less cloves.

How to Substitute Allspice in a Recipe
This mixture uses a combination of other common spices, which can be made in advance and stored just like other spices. There is no reason why a perfectly good recipe should go to waste because of a missing spice.

Instructions:
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of Ginger
¼ teaspoon of Cloves
(Use the ground version of spices for use in creating your allspice concoction. )

Mix the ingredients until well blended:
This will give you one teaspoon of the equivalent of allspice. For a greater quantity, just double the spice amounts and measure out the correct amount, when completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment